Stakeholders - get started here

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks
Permissions: Yes

Stakeholders - get started here

Postby johnleeke » April 20th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Stakeholders will help the Founders and Advisers by providing their unique regional and local insights about window work. There will be at least 100 to 200 Stakeholders. Stakeholders can review and comment on the drafts of the standards here at the website.

Stakeholders will include:

• Independent Tradespeople, who have detailed hands-on knowledge about window work
• Contractors who will be working to meet these standards
• Educators and trainers
• Specifiers
• Architects
• Facilities managers
• Homeowners and building owners, who hire contractors and trades people
• Staff and officials from government agencies non-profit organizations

(If you would like to be a Stakeholder, all you have to do is click on "Post Reply" (above left) and let us know who you are, about your work, how it relates to window preservation and then participate in the discussions here at the Forum.)

finkielink
Full Name: Marsha Lance
Organization: private homeowner

Stakeholder - Historic Home owner - Want to participate

Postby finkielink » July 2nd, 2011, 11:19 pm

Dear PTN group associates:

My name is Marsha Lance, and I am the current owner of a historic home in Newport, Kentucky. My interest is in preserving the home as much as I can, (within a moderate budget,) but allowing it to be lived in and enjoyed in modern times. Often a delicate balance. The home was built in 1869, and is a brick Italianate structure, "shotgun" shaped, L-shape building. I love my home.

I have windows that appear to be original, or close to over almost all of the home. I will need to have these looked at and repaired in the near future, but have had concerns about finding the right person to work on them. I want them to be functional, and must abide by city standards to restore them using original materials.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. I would also be willing to participate as a trial group for any interested practitioners, if suitable arrangements can be made. Thanks for any support.

Marsha Lance

elicohn
Full Name: Eli Cohn
Organization: Hudson Timberworks

Re: Stakeholders - get started here

Postby elicohn » September 6th, 2011, 11:59 pm

My name is Eli Cohn.

As a young child, my mother used to take me along on her frequent, construction-site trespassing ventures. By age 5 I was already indoctrinated into the world of contemporary architecture (and well aware of the dangers of unprotected fall hazards). At age 10 I was placed in charge of cleaning the "floor to ceiling" walls-of-glass in my family's home overlooking the San Francisco Bay. At age I4 I got my professional start in the field of custom woodworking sanding butcher-block table tops in a local cabinet shop.

Later as I made my way through college I studied Mechanical Engineering and Architecture, but graduated with a degree in Studio Art. After graduation I found work as a Museum exhibit designer and became a proficient builder of glass display cases. My first venture into historic preservation involved salvaging sections of an old mansion (previously owned by one of the towns founding fathers) and reassembling in the museum (complete with the former owners furniture and belongings). We managed to rescue the mantel and the stair case just as the wrecking ball started to swing.

After relocating to the North East, my skills were discovered by local homeowners seeking home renovations. I continued working as a general contractor until I was offered a position with Andersen Window Corporation. My mission was to work as a Service Provider coordinating warranty fulfillment in New York's Lower Hudson Valley (this is 'Andersen Country' I was told).

Andersen trained me how to resolve the seemingly never ending stream of product failures. Since many of the problems I encountered were exasperated by poor installation techniques, I was also assigned the task of gently coaxing illiterate installers to read the English-only instructions and follow the detailed installation guidelines. Nobody seemed to mind my sermons on product installation as long as I made the problem at hand disappear long enough to collect the final job payment.

When Andersen reduced their famous "make the custom happy at any expense" service program to match the industry standard "send various parts until the customer is frustrated into complacency" model, I found myself servicing window, door and skylight problems as a free agent. The only problem was that without the confidential service bulletins and unlimited access to every plastic, metal, fiberglass part it became very difficult to resolve the plethora of problems I was encountering with every major manufacturer's products. Without the service kits containing proprietary fasteners, adhesives, and magic tricks I couldn't get much done.

Much to my pleasure, I discovered that 100 year old windows perform better than their modern cousins, and that I could make almost any part I needed. Protruded fiberglass and high tech gaskets were simply not required. Before long I had put away my toolbox of Fibrex repair strategies in favor of the old standards: wood, glass, paint and glazing putty. I had been infected with a love for old windows and there was no going back.

Recently I have been thinking about tearing out my Andersen double-hungs and installing something functional with weights and chains. I'll probably never get around to it, so I instead I am looking to buy a 125 year old farm house. I am still searching for something that hasn't been ruined by someones well intentioned desire to install replacement windows. Hard to blame them, after all, no one is advertising traditional wood storm windows during half time.

Wayne Robison
Full Name: Wayne Robison

Hello

Postby Wayne Robison » September 7th, 2011, 10:11 am

My name is Wayne Robison and I live and work in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.
This region of the state is a very historically significant part of the nation.
I have 18 years experience working and preserving historical homes and wood windows in this Region of the state.
I have work extensively on historical homes in this region not only in the window preservation aspects, but also the historical preservation of buildings in general.
I have worked closely with Naval architects and SHPO in reference to Historical Buildings that are on Federal Property and maintained by the US Navy, specifically the Jamestown Exposition homes that are located on the Norfolk Naval Base, Norfolk, VA.
I have restored most of the windows on these homes back to fully functioning windows including complete removal of Lead base paints, asbestos glazing, repairs to sashes and frames and installation of weatherstripping, along with painting and other aspects to makign these windows back into functioning windows.

I have also worked on many other historically significant structures and homes in the Hampton Roads area, including one of the original US Custom Houses located in downtown Norfolk, VA

I hope I can be of some assistance in the WPSC's vision in establishing and maintaining and marketing a standard for window preservation.

Please let me know how I can be of assistance to helping move along the WPSC Standard.

johnleeke

Re: Hello

Postby johnleeke » September 7th, 2011, 10:58 am

Hi Wayne, and welcome to the WPSC.

It looks like you'll be participating as a Stakeholder, here's more on that:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13

(I'll move your introductory message over to that discussion.)

In the coming weeks we'll be posting drafts of the standards in this section of the Forum:

viewforum.php?f=9

where you can click on the main headings, and then click on individual discussions to review them. Then click on "post reply" to write your comments and questions.

If you need help with using the Forum system go here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=84
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Councilor
Standards Book Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » September 7th, 2011, 11:08 am

Eli, there are several others in the WPSC like you, who have shifted over from the contemporary window industry to work on these fine old windows.

Welcome to the WPSC. You can help with the development of the Standards by keeping track of what is going on in this section of the Forum:

viewforum.php?f=9

and posting your replies and comments there.

In the coming weeks we'll be posting more drafts of the standards in this section of the Forum.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Councilor
Standards Book Editor

bburn
Full Name: William Hepburn
Organization: Heirloom Windows

Postby bburn » December 4th, 2011, 12:20 am

My name is Bill Hepburn and I own Heirloom Windows. I've written extensively about my product and experience in a post entitled “Heresy” on in the General Discussion Forum.

In essence I’ve restored nearly one thousand windows in adherence with the DNR guidelines but most recently I’ve developed a “Modified Replica” replacement window system. This unit looks EXACTLY like a traditional monolithically glazed unit both inside and out but includes ¾” IG, contemporary weather-stripping and balance system with a maintenance free exterior.

I’d love to contribute my $.02 to your standards efforts.
Bill Hepburn
Heirloom Windows
2511 S 600 W
Crawfordsville IN
bburn@hughes.net
www.heirloomwindows.com

restocarp
Full Name: Matthew Hankins

Postby restocarp » January 11th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Hello all,

My name is Matt Hankins. I am currently the Restoration Millshop Supervisor for Worcester Eisenbrandt, Inc. in Baltimore, Maryland. I have experience in the commercial, residential and museum worlds. I am a graduate of the North Bennet Street School's Preservation Carpentry program as well as University of Mary Washington's Historic Preservation program. I have had experiences on a very wide spectrum of projects from small independent museums to large municipal buildings to private residences.

Much of our work involves restoration or replication of historic windows. I am very interested in participating in this discussion. I hope to be able to bring my perspective to the table and help create a document that will be useful across the museum, residential and commercial restoration worlds.

Matt
Matthew Hankins
Worcester Eisenbrandt, Inc.
Baltimore, Maryland
http://www.weirestoration.com/
http://askwei.blogspot.com/

Wadsworth
Full Name: David Wadsworth
Organization: Wadsworth Con. Inc

Postby Wadsworth » January 30th, 2012, 4:14 pm

My name is David Wadsworth and I have a small construction business located in Decorah, IA. Two years ago I attended Bob Yapp's window preservation class at The Campbell Center for Historic Preservation Studies. Since then I've become an advocate for saving historic windows, and have worked on several window preservation projects. I intend to grow the window preservation side of my business as my experience and comfort level with the process increases. I look forward to seeing the "timely" results of the WPSC, since I have been asked to speak on window preservation at the 2012 Iowa historic preservation conference in Decorah. The conference is the weekend of April 28th and I had hoped to represent the work of the WPSC and your desire to "create national standards for the repair and weatherization of old and historic windows", to the conference attendees.

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » January 30th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Bill, Matt and David:

Welcome to the WPSC. You can help with the development of the Standards by keeping track of what is going on in this section of the Forum:

viewforum.php?f=9

and posting your replies and comments there.

We are now posting more drafts of each standard in that section of the Forum.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Councilor
Standards Book Editor

Return to “People in the Collaborative”