Drawings of Sash parts

Basic materials, Products, Generic Descriptions.
oculus

Drawings of Sash parts

Postby oculus » March 5th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Hey John,
Here are the drawings you requested. Sorry it took so long. The exploded view was re-done a couple of times.
Attachments
exploded.jpg
Amy Harrington McAuley
Oculus Fine Carpentry, Inc.
http://oculuswindow.blogspot.com/
oculuswindow@gmail.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"-T.Edison

oculus

Re: Drawings of Sash parts

Postby oculus » March 5th, 2012, 1:46 pm

Here is the second one.
Attachments
mt.jpg
Amy Harrington McAuley
oculuswindow@gmail.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"-T.Edison

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks
Permissions: Yes

Postby johnleeke » March 5th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Amy, excellent.

Go ahead and upload the 300dpi TIF files for these.

Thanks.

Next assignment, check this discussion:

viewtopic.php?p=636#p636
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

oculus

Postby oculus » March 6th, 2012, 2:27 pm

john here are the tiff files for these.
Attachments
Sash.tif
Amy Harrington McAuley
oculuswindow@gmail.com

oculus

Postby oculus » March 6th, 2012, 2:29 pm

here is the mortise.
Attachments
Mortis.tif
Amy Harrington McAuley
oculuswindow@gmail.com

BirminghamPoint
Full Name: John Poole
Organization: Birmingham Point

Postby BirminghamPoint » April 10th, 2012, 10:34 am

Are any of you folks fans of Google SketchUp and 3D Warehouse?

I realize I might be committing blasphemy here if you're strong adherents to traditional drawing techniques, and I can understand that. But the nice thing about having diagrams like these also available as components in SketchUp is they're readily accessible and modifiable by others who don't necessarily possess drawing skills, can be maintained/published in an online catalog, easily downloaded, customized, and imported into other SketchUp designs, and can be used for anything from presentations to instructional materials to the creation of precisely dimensioned shop drawings to work from. SketchUp has gained considerable acceptance and use in the building/construction community, generally, over the past few years, and many designers, builders, architects, and even home performance modelers, are putting it to good use.

A few quick searches of Google 3D Warehouse come up with window components submitted mostly by replacement window manufacturers. The WPSC might want to take an upper hand here and consider building a large 3D catalog of traditional window components and parts over time, in further support of their efforts.

I'd like to propose doing a few simple SketchUp models of sashes. I can do them based on Amy's drawings if there's no objection, or from my own actual windows. You folks can review them and decide if it's something you want to pursue further. If so, I'd have no problem owning this and getting it off the ground and helping others get up to speed with it. Just let me know if you want me to proceed with some initial diagrams...

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » April 10th, 2012, 5:42 pm

John, welcome to the Standards project.

>>...committing blasphemy here if you're strong adherents to traditional drawing techniques...<<

Ha! Amy is working on paper, but we're using all the tools we know how to use here at the Standards project.

>>A few quick searches of Google 3D Warehouse come up with window components submitted mostly by replacement window manufacturers. The WPSC might want to take an upper hand here and consider building a large 3D catalog of traditional window components and parts over time, in further support of their efforts.<<

I've done extensive searching of the Warehouse and there's not much there on traditional windows with much accurate detail.

This is a great idea. One of our project strategies is to no longer let the replacement window manufacturers control the "conversation."

I'm currently using SketchUp to develop illustrations for my own book on windows and I have a detailed model of a traditional double hung. But, I'm reserving it for that project.

I think it would be great if you wanted to begin developing some SketchUp models for the standards. Why don't you begin with a model based on the windows at your place. I've been to your website, I think those photos were of your windows, and that they were double hung. Double hung, 6 over 6, is the illustration standard for this first edition of the standards, so you're good to go with that.

Please post your efforts here early and often, so I, as editor, can give you some guidance.

Also, I'm hoping you'll take a close look at the Weatherization & Energy section of the Standards:
viewforum.php?f=19
as I know that's your special interest.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

BirminghamPoint

Postby BirminghamPoint » April 10th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Thanks, John!

Glad to hear you're well versed in SketchUp. Nonetheless, I still contend I'm a blasphemer, and probably on more than just one level... :-)

The windows in the Mansfield house (the one you're familiar with from my blog) are almost all 12/12 single hung (fixed upper sash, & guillotine lower sash), except for the two attic windows and one of the garret windows, which are 6/6 single hung.

I'll start off, then, by modeling one of the 6/6 windows. We can then take those components and adjust as needed to create a model of a 6/6 double hung window, since that's the configuration you want for the standard.

I am indeed looking at the weatherization and energy postings, but haven't placed any comments there yet, but will soon...

~John

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » April 11th, 2012, 7:42 am

John,

Go ahead a do a documentation of your 6/6 single hung. Another tenant here at the Standards is to support regionality. Make it accurate in form, size and detail. Eventually we could have a library of SketchUp models that document the different types of windows around the country.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

BirminghamPoint

Postby BirminghamPoint » April 20th, 2012, 12:52 pm

OK, it's a start, anyway (albeit a slow one...)

Here's a SketchUp rendering of a bottom rail from one of my 6/6 gable windows I mentioned above. (It turns out these windows are indeed double hung, with a parting bead separating the sashes, but no operating mechanisms installed whatsoever -- each upper sash is held up by a single nail, while the lowers guillotine):

MH W-1-B Lower Sash Bottom Rail.png

The approach I'm taking is first to model all parts as SketchUp components to facilitate re-use, and also, to capture all details of construction; then, I'll assemble these into sash, frame, and trim components, and then finally, models of complete window systems.

In time, I'll create a few 3D Warehouse collections to organization this stuff, but for now, they'll just be on my 3D Warehouse page: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?viewer=1174063361372763910920777&scoring=m

Also, I think I'd mentioned that I have a second house (18th century) full of 6/6, 9/6, and 12/8 single hung windows. When I've completed my 6/6 and 12/12 models, I'll then model one each of the windows from the other house, as well.

Return to “Materials & Products”