Fixing loose sash joints, with glue

Wood repairs for sashes, frames and sills.
davidgibney
Full Name: David Gibney
Permissions: Yes

Fixing loose sash joints, with glue

Postby davidgibney » February 19th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Standard Work Method Form
<copy this form into your word processor, then fill it out>

Number: <you can leave the number blank>
Status: [ x] submitted work method, [x ] proposed treatment standard, [ x] final treatment standard
Update:
Author: David Gibney
References:
Contributors:

Title of Treatment: Tighten loose sash joints.
Class of Treatment: [ x] Maintain, [ x] Stabilize, [x ] Repair, [x ] Upgrade, [ ] Exception
Type of Treatment: [ ] Traditional, [ x] Contemporary, [x ] Conservation

Condition to be Treated:
<State what is wrong with the window that requires treatment. For example, "Paint is peeling at the sash joint." Or, "A pane of glass is cracked."
Sash is in good shape but the joints are loose where the rails and styles meet.

Description:
<Include when this treatment is appropriate, how long you have been using this method, how long it holds up, why it is successful, how it fails, etc.>This treatment is necessary when the sash will not stay square, movement. I have used this method for the past 25 years without failure. I will only fail if the sash in not maintained, painted

Typical Procedure:
<Write each step with a short phrase or single sentence. Simply state what is done, you do not need to include all the details of how to do it.>
1. I remove the original wooden pegs or steel pins using a steel punch, I save the original wooden pegs for reinstallation.
2. Before I take the sash apart I mark the locations of the muntins for reinstallation so they go back into their original locations
3. I carefully take the sash apart using a rubber mallet not to damage or mar any of the styles or rails.
4.I apply an adhesive glue to the mortise and tenons only, no glue is applied to the muntins because they need to be able to expand and contract as necessary.
5. I put the sash in a jig to make sure it is 100% completely square.
6. I tack a brace across the face of the sash keeping it square until the glue completely dries.
7. After the joints have bonded I sand the surface of the joints smooth, removing any excess glue.
8. This method is reversible for future repairs to the sash if necessary. Any adhesive glue can be broken down with the proper use of a heat gun. I have tested this method out and have been able to completely take a sash apart after it has been glued together, that’s a fact

Materials:
• adhesive glue
• squaring jig and

Quality of Results
<Describe how the quality of the completed work can be judged.>

Best Work: Sash is perfectly square, joints are tight with no movement.

Adequate Work: Sash is square, no movement.

Inadequate Work: Sash is out of square and the joints have movement.

Return to “Woodwork”