Wood-Epoxy Repairs

Wood repairs for sashes, frames and sills.
sschoberg

Wood-Epoxy Repairs

Postby sschoberg » June 24th, 2011, 7:58 am

When repairing older wood sashes we are carefull with our application of the epoxies we use. We apply our consolidante specifically to just the areas we are addressing. Simply put---we use a smaller application brush or even a tooth pic to apply. We've found that when we flood a surface of the sash with consolidant (especially when the wood does not soak it in all the way) it changes the conditions of the wood for priming.

We had paint and primer failure on some of our early work around all the joinery of sashes. When we examined more closely we could see that the primer didn't penetrate where the consolidant was applied away from the joinery. Not everywhere, just where we were sloppy with the consolidant.

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks
Permissions: Yes

Re: Wood-Epoxy Repairs

Postby johnleeke » December 16th, 2011, 8:28 pm

I agree that the epoxy materials need to be strictly limited to the tightly controlled repair area, with no slop or thin skim of epoxy spreading out across the surface from the deeper repair area.

Who is going to write some standards on wood-epoxy repairs?

I've written one on filling sill weather checks:

viewtopic.php?p=367#p367
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

Jason Whipple
Full Name: Jason Whipple
Organization: Historic House Resto

Postby Jason Whipple » December 22nd, 2011, 7:32 pm

I like this topic. I'd not only like to see more discussion about how it should be used but when it's to much and replacement parts should be considered. In preservation work it's a tough call sometimes to throw out a piece of wood but at the same time we need to deal with sustainability of the project.

With other types of woodworking in preservation the rule seems to be leave as is if it isn't a defect. The character of that old flooring or siding is what we are trying to preserve in the original fabric's. With widows we have many working parts that are built to keep out the weather and provide a view. In the case of window restoration, I'd like to know where to draw the line as far as how much is too much epoxy for windows.
Jason E Whipple
Historic House Restoration
Cincinnati, Ohio
(513) 633-4332

https://www.facebook.com/RestoreOhio

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks

Postby johnleeke » December 23rd, 2011, 10:57 am

Jason, see this discussion on Epoxy Repairs vs. Dutchman vs. Whole Part Replacement:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

Return to “Woodwork”