Wood Storm, weatherstrip (final)

Controlling the movement of air and heat through windows.
bobyapp

Wood Storm, weatherstrip (final)

Postby bobyapp » January 5th, 2012, 11:16 pm

Number:
Update:
Author: Bob Yapp
Contributors:
References:

Title of Treatment: Wood Storm, weatherstrip
Class of Treatment: [ ] Maintain, [ ] Stabilize, [ ] Repair, [x] Upgrade, [ ] Exception
Type of Treatment: [ ] Traditional, [x] Modern

Condition to be Treated: Double-hung window that needs an exterior storm.

Description: Install an exterior wooden storm with weatherstripping to improve its air infiltration performance.

If the sash of a window need to be removed it is critical the opening be secured to keep out the weather. Installing the storm window at that time is an efficient method.

Typical Procedure:
1. Remove all paint from the exterior blind stop and sill.
2. Measure the opening for the new storm.
3. Make any need wood repairs to the blind stop and sill with Dutchmen and/or architectural epoxy.
4. Oil prime all bare wood, apply two coats of finish paint, oil or acrylic latex.
5. Fit wooden storm to opening and set aside. Trim the side and top edges of the storm to fit with equal gaps not less than 1/16" and not more than 1/8". Make the gap between the bottom rail and sill not less than 1/8" and not more than 3/16".
6. Install weatherstripping on top and both sides of blind stop with screws.
7. Install 3 pieces weatherstripping with rubber tubing on the sill, with screws, to create two 1/4 gaps for moisture to escape.
8. Install wooden storm window using traditional storm hangers on top and hook-and-eyes on the inside to pull storm tightly to the jamb stile and rubber tube on the weatherstripping. Wooden storm windows may also be screwed in place.
9. Check to be sure there is a 1/8" gap between the sill and bottom rail of wooden storm window.

Materials:
· Old growth wood for Dutchmen.
· Architectural epoxy, liquid and putty.
· Oil based primer with minimum 43% solids content.
· Oil base or acrylic latex top coats with minimum 43% solid content.
· Traditional wooden storm window, with full through mortise and tenon joints and with the horizontal center rail in line with the meeting rails of the primary double hung sashes.
· Jamb style, stick weather stripping with EPDM rubber tubing (wood or aluminum stick) and screws for fastening.
· Two traditional storm hangers or stainless steel screws and cup washers.

Quality of Results:

Best Work:

The exterior of the wooden storm window should generally be installed flush to the exterior casing, if the depth of the blind stop allows.

Storm window should seat tightly to the rubber tubing attached to the Jamb style, stick weather stripping.

Adequate Work:

Inadequate Work:

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks
Permissions: Yes

Re: Storm Window, with weatherstrip

Postby johnleeke » January 5th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Bob,

Check out my edits above. I tried combining a couple of steps that were closely related.

I added a step for measuring and one for trimming the storm to fit the opening?

Would you like to say what type of rubber in the weatherstrip? A lot of people see vinyl on this type of weatherstrip and think it's A-OK.

Would you make a couple of comments to tell about the most common ways this sort of storm are installed inadequately?

Could you attach the photos to a message? Your photos for the weatherstrip standard came through just fine.

Thanks!
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

bobyapp

Re: Storm Window, with weatherstrip (draft)

Postby bobyapp » January 13th, 2012, 4:54 pm

EPDM rubber

Bob Yapp

Wood Strom Weather Stripping-Drawing

Postby Bob Yapp » February 6th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Wood Storm Weather Stripping Drawing.JPG

oculus

Re: Wood Storm Window, with weatherstrip (draft)

Postby oculus » February 11th, 2012, 11:31 am

Hey Bob,
I am doing the illustration for this. Can you tell me or attach a photo of the exact type/brand of flange bulb strip you have used. I have seen a lot on the web from simple to complex. I want to get this drawing up on the forum tomorrow. Thanks.
Amy Harrington McAuley
Oculus Fine Carpentry, Inc.
http://oculuswindow.blogspot.com/
oculuswindow@gmail.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"-T.Edison

oculus

Postby oculus » February 12th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Here is the drawing John. Let me know what you think. I drew it twice as big then reduced it in Photoshop. It is at 300 dpi.
I want to re-work the weight pocket area for the final.
Drawing_1a.tif
Amy Harrington McAuley
oculuswindow@gmail.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"-T.Edison

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » February 13th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Amy, OK looking really good. Suggestions:

-- Scale and size of the image looks good. The lower figure (not the locator lines) is laying out and printing out at 2.5" wide, this is ideal. let's set the width for these details at about 2.5" wide, just like this one.

Your tiff file format is working well in my page layout program, the file, including the white margin on both sides of the image is 4.25" wide. It will be a help in page layout if you can make that 3" wide by 9" max height on future drawings. (we can go wider for the occasional more complex drawing)

-- Double, or nearly double, the line weight for outlines of the parts

-- Leave out the locator lines that show the location of the detail, I'll do that digitally during page layout.

-- Do you have a book that shows standard architectural drawing materials symbols? Such as page 8, in:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7752830/Build ... -Finishing, which shows metals including cast iron for the weights.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

oculus

Postby oculus » February 13th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Ok John, I will make some corrections and upload a revision. I do have a lot of architectural standards books. I was finishing the drawing at a coffee shop so I couldn't reference them. I will make some modifications to the section drawing along with the other corrections.
Amy Harrington McAuley
oculuswindow@gmail.com

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » February 14th, 2012, 11:09 am

Amy:

I notice that the forum system cannot display tiff files. When you make the tiff files, could you also make a jpg file and upload it too, so that forum readers can see the image without having to deal with downloading the tiff? Thanks.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

oculus

Postby oculus » February 14th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Ok John, I am working on the revision now. I should have it up by 1:00 PST. I will post it as a 300 dpi jpeg image.
Amy Harrington McAuley
oculuswindow@gmail.com

Return to “Weatherization & Energy”