Steel Casement windows

Steel window maintenance and repair methods.
Kathy Morgan
Full Name: Kathy L. Morgan
Permissions: Yes

Steel Casement windows

Postby Kathy Morgan » July 20th, 2011, 4:02 pm

I have several large buildings in Wichita that have original steel casement windows that are repairable, but the owners are wanting to replace them to get a better energy efficiency. Is there an effective way to install storms on the interior of the windows, especially if the crank mechanism is in close proximity to the frame?

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks

Re: Steel Casement windows

Postby johnleeke » July 20th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Yes, and Jim Turner will be demonstrating the installation of interior storms on steel casements at the Summit, so you should get a chance to see how it's done.

Corner me at Jim's demonstration and get me to write up a Proposed Treatment Standard while he does it, I'll post it here, and you can try it out on one of your projects, with a sample window, and then report back on how it went, and if the Treatment Standard needs any revision.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Councilor
Standards Book Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks

Postby johnleeke » July 20th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Yes, and Jim Turner will be demonstrating the installation of interior storms on steel casements at the Summit, so you should get a chance to see how it's done.

Corner me at Jim's demonstration and get me to write up a Proposed Treatment Standard while he does it, I'll post it here, and you can try it out on one of your projects, with a sample window, and then report back on how it went, and if the Treatment Standard needs any revision.

Joy Sears, from Oregon, will be at the Summit. She writes:
There is a huge and untapped market for metal window repair in the Pacific Northwest! In all my searching, I can only find people and companies all east of the Rockies which is most frustrating. There are some folks in California, I understand, but that is too far geographically to travel. All the window repairs here, just repair wood. I have had at least 2 huge (to me) tax credit projects with metal windows in Portland Oregon that might have been saved. Then there are all the warehouse and industrial buildings, condo associations in old apartment buildings and other random projects that jump out all the time. While I can provide technical advice and I know technically how to repair steel windows, I have no suggestions for people to consider here and that is such a lost opportunity for being green, sustainable and preserving historic properties!

Here's an assignment for both of you (should you decide to accept it):

Get together at the Summit and develop a way you can work together to use the Standards to address your common need for steel window work.

At Jim's first steel window demonstration I'll show you both how to document the work and get it down on our Window Standard Form. Then you can document his other demonstrations. You can download the PDF file below to see what that is like. Print out a few copies of page two and bring them along to fill out at the Summit.
Attachments
WindowStandardFormSample.pdf
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 347 times
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Councilor
Standards Book Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

Kathy Morgan
Full Name: Kathy L. Morgan

Postby Kathy Morgan » July 21st, 2011, 11:58 am

Thanks, John. That sounds great. I will be glad to get together with Joy.

Return to “Metal Work”