johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks
Permissions: Yes

Detailed Description of the Summit

Postby johnleeke » April 19th, 2011, 7:51 pm

(update: 7.4.2011)

National Window Preservation Summit

WPSC sponsors the National Window Preservation Summit at Pine Mountain, Kentucky, in July, 2011 .

The five Founders are inviting 30 key Advisers from across the country to attend the summit. The Summit is also open by invitation to 30 Observers. While Observers will not be involved in the day-to-day commenting on the demonstrated standards, they will witness the process and develop strategies to promote the Standards back home.

The purpose of the Summit is to get the writers of the standards together, face-to-face with the Advisers, to effectively revise the draft of the standards. Also, to help the Observers develop a deep understanding of the project and the standards, so they can carry the word about the standards back home.

The Kentucky Heritage Council (KHC) is a partner and assisting with planning and implementation of the summit.

The Pine Mountain Settlement School (PMSS) is is a National Historic Landmark with several buildings and every variety of wood and steel windows. The PMSS has facilities to feed and house up to 60 participants.
Accommodations

The Pine Mountain Settlement School is a 1920s boarding school, which is like stepping back in time. It is a remote site with beautiful buildings of stone and wood, interior oak floors with chestnut and poplar paneling. The accommodations are spare: dorm rooms with a bath down the hall, make your own bed, no TV, no radio, minimal access to internet and spotty coverage for cell phones (a land-line is available). About the only modern concession is air conditioning. A bell rings out to call you to meals, which are served cafeteria style. The food is delicious with homemade rolls and vegetables from their gardens. Vegetarian and some other special dietary needs can be met, be sure to use the downloaded registration form and include a note about your needs.
Permissions

Advisers and Observers understand the purpose of the Summit is to collect information for the Standards and that the proceedings will be thoroughly documented. They give their permission to be recorded, and that their comments, ideas and images may appear at the website and be used in the drafts and final version of the Standards. This may include written notes, photos, audio and video recordings of presentations, conversations and interviews.
Shipments

If you are shipping tools or materials to Pine Mountain before the Summit use this shipping address and let Patrick know what day you expect it to arrive:
WPSC Summit
Pine Mountain Settlement School
36 HWY 510
Pine Mountain, KY 40810-8289
Contact Person:
Patrick Kennedy, 502 564-7005
Travel

Pine Mountain Settlement School is located in the mountains of Appalachia in Southeastern Kentucky. You can fly into:
Lexington, Kentucky, with a three hour drive to Pine Mountain
Tri-City Airport, Tennesee, with a two hour drive
Nashville, Tennesee, with a two and a half hour drive

Find driving directions at the School's website:
http://www.pinemountainsettlementschool ... ctions.php

Registration

The registration fee for Advisers and Observers attending the main events of the Summit July 26 to 28 is $350, which includes lodging at Pine Mountain and three meals a day, plus dinner on the 25th and breakfast on the 29th.

Spouses can accompany Advisers and Observers at the same fee. Use the downloaded registration form and fill out two. Be sure to include a note that you are bringing a spouse and want lodging in the same or adjacent rooms.

You can only attend the Summit if you have been invited. If you have not been invited and would like to apply to come to the Summit, please post a message here at the Forum by clicking on "Post Reply" above.

Registration Deadline: Extended to 12:00pm EST, July 20, 2011.

See the main WPSC website for links to registration form and online registration:

http://ptnresource.org/WPSC/summit/

Schedule

The main events of the Summit for the Advisers and Observers will be held July 26, 27 & 28, 2011. There are preliminary activities for some participants starting on July 22, if you are in this group you will already know it.

Friday July 22, 2011

5:00 Five Founders, assistants and energy testing personnel arrive
5:30 Dinner
7:00 Organizing meeting at Big Log

Saturday July 23, 2011

7:00 Breakfast
8:00 Work with Walter Sedovic to set up and conduct initial baseline air infiltration testing.
Noon Lunch
1:00 Continue with Walter Sedovic to set up and conduct initial baseline air infiltration testing. Begin window weatherization and preservation once Walter is done.

Sunday July 24, 2011

8:00 Begin or continue window weatherization and preservation
Noon Lunch
1:00 Continue window weatherization and preservation
7:00 Organizing meeting at Big Log

Monday July 25, 2011

8:00 Finish window weatherization and preservation by noon
Noon Lunch
1:00 Work with Walter Sedovic to set up and conduct first weatherized air infiltration testing.
5:00 All Advisors and Observers arrive
7:00 Introduction to the Summit at Laurel House

Tuesday July 26, 2011 Results Demonstrations at Draper Hall

8:00 David Gibney demonstrates his window opening and the systems he uses.
9:00 John Leeke demonstrates his window opening and the systems he uses.
10:00 Bob Yapp demonstrates his window opening and the systems he uses.
Noon Lunch
1:00 Duffy Hoffman demonstrates his window opening and the systems he uses.
3:00 Jim Turner demonstrates his window opening and the systems he uses.
7:00 Roundtable discussion of energy results and thoughts from the Advisors & Observers. Laurel House

Wednesday July 27, Multiple Workshop Stations - Draper Hall and Outside on the Basketball Court

8:00 to 11:00 These morning workshops are ongoing & everyone should be able to roam around the stations to see them all:
1) Architectural Epoxies and Painting - Duffy Hoffman
2) Making Wooden Sash Parts - David Gibney
3) Making Custom Wood Storm Windows - Bob Yapp
4) Steel Window Paint Removal Techniques - Jim Turner
11:00 to Noon Big Log - Comments from the Advisors
Noon Lunch
1:00 to 4:00 These afternoon workshops are ongoing & everyone should be able to roam around the stations to see all of them:
1) Glazing & Glass - Duffy Hoffman
2) Steel Window Muntin Repair - Jim Turner
3) Dutchman Wood Repairs - David Gibney
4) Safe Paint Removal from Wood Windows & Parts - Bob Yapp
4:00 to 5:00 Big Log - Comments from the Advisors
7:00 Free Time

Thursday July 28, 2011

8:00 Take all suggestions and adjust window weatherization. Advisors & Observers will assist
10:00 Walter Sedovic sets up and conducts final air infiltration testing.
Noon Lunch
1:00 Brainstorming The Results. How to market the information and how to take on the disposable window replacement industry. All attendees are invited to this event at Big Log (laurel House if there are over 30 people).
3:00 Tour Pine Mountain

Friday July 29, 2011

8:00 Everyone travels back home to save some windows!

(please post your thoughts and revisions by clicking "Post Reply" below.)

Patrick

Re: General Description of the Summit

Postby Patrick » June 5th, 2011, 8:16 am

while we show the time of the business part of the summit as 26 - 28 in actuality folks will be expected to arrive on 25th in the afternoon and get thier room and have an evening meal. Also folks will have their room Thursday night 28th and be served breakfast the next morning before going on tier way.

I am looking at the PTN site info and se a small glitch in the registration area that says event is July 28 - 28

I'll look closer.

Pat

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » June 5th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Pat:

Thanks. I'll add breakfast the morning after to the Summit description above, and I'll get in touch with Lisa for a correction on the PTN website.

Please continue to post Summit planning updates right here.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

barnlover
Full Name: Joy Sears
Organization: OR SHPO

Postby barnlover » June 16th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Since I know nothing about Pine Mountain Settlement School, I am wondering about the accommodations. Do we get rooms or is it dorm situation? No worries, just curious.

Also how is wireless access? I am debating bringing my computer that has a wireless modem. My WiFi is broken.

And how about the weather in late July? I am guessing warm to hot with high humidity but I am not familiar with this area.

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » June 17th, 2011, 9:44 am

Joy,

The Summit will be a "retreat" type experience.

Pat Kennedy writes:

"At Pine Mountain Settlement School the mission is education, primarily environmental education with the majority of students being grade school children. The accommodations are spare. It is a 1930's era boarding school. No tv, no radio, minimal access to internet and spotty coverage for cell phones. No maids to make your bed. About the only modern concession is air conditioning. The dorm rooms have window units, the other 2 sites have central.

That said this is one of my most favorite places to visit and stay. It
is like stepping back in time. It is a beautiful site with beautiful
buildings built of stone and wood, Interiors have oak floors with
chestnut or poplar paneling. A bell rings out to call you to meals
which are served cafeteria style on trays. The food is delicious with
homemade rolls and vegetables from their gardens."

kolloftc
Full Name: Todd Kolloff

Postby kolloftc » June 20th, 2011, 7:47 am

What is the cost of the summit for stakeholders? I'm assuming it's the same as for advisers and observers, but I just wanted to make certain. Thanks!

John's post says: "The registration fee for Advisers and Observers is $350, which includes lodging and three meals a day at Pine Mountain. (Lodging and meals cost about $180 a person. The additional $170 of the registration fee will help offset the other costs associated with the entire endeavor.) No fee for Founders and Assistants."

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » June 20th, 2011, 9:16 am

Hi Todd, welcome to the Forum and the Standards project.

What is the cost of the summit for stakeholders? I'm assuming it's the same as for advisers and observers, but I just wanted to make certain. Thanks!

The Summit is just for Advisers and Observers, and they have to be invited by a Founder. If you would like to come to the Summit, please apply by leaving a message here at the Forum. Go to the People section:

viewforum.php?f=11

and click on "Advisers" or "Observers" and tell us about yourself, your work and your interest in windows. If you know one of the Founders, or one of them has sent you here, be sure to mention that.
(Some people have had a difficulty loosing long messages posted here. If you are composing a long message, be sure to copy it to your system's clipboard or word processor before clicking "Submit". If you message is lost, then you can simply copy it into a new message and submitting again.)

There is no dollar cost for Stakeholders to participate by commenting here at the Forum.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

Return to “National Window Preservation Summit”