suggest change focus to a north american standard

JSTRIPP
Full Name: john scott tripp
Organization: willowbank
Permissions: Yes

suggest change focus to a north american standard

Postby JSTRIPP » June 24th, 2011, 11:07 pm

I respectfully suggest that if possible scope be widen beyond the United States to include at least Canada.
Why not at least a North American standard?
I am sure we can generate support here in Canada and contribute to the Project.

Just as an example- APT Association for Preservation Technology International (APT)
started in 1968 as a joint US Canadian organization which now has members in 19 countries

Who am I and where am I coming from you ask?

My name is J. Scott Tripp

I am a third year student in the Heritage Conservation Program run by Julian Smith at the Willowbank School of Restoration Arts in Queenston Ontario Canada see http://www.Willowbank.ca for more details.

Prior to making to jump into this field, and becoming a full time student for the first time since University (in the 1980's)
I attended two dry stone workshops at the Pine Mountain School with (thanks to Patrick Kennedy) and read John Leeke for wood window restoration tips. I also received inspiration at workshops in ontario from Chris Cooper of Edifice magazine.

More recently I met (and learned from )Clem Labine ( and others) in Chicago last Fall at his Traditonal Building Conference and very recently attended the APT workshop on Non-Destructive Evaluation Methods for Historic Buildings in May at Taliesin, Spring Green, Wisconsin.

Every day I see great windows going into Landfill and get weekly flyers at my heritage home promoting wonderful vinyl replacement windows.

Just in the last week I know of two houses within 3km of my home with windows over 90 years old which have gone to landfill!

sign me up!

J. Scott Tripp
J. SCOTT TRIPP

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks

Re: suggest change focus to a north american standard

Postby johnleeke » June 25th, 2011, 6:43 pm

J. Scott:

Welcome to the Standards project!

The way this project has developed is that that a core group of us window putty heads got together with an idea that has attracted others. To make it sound more important than it actually was at first we widened the scope from our own local realm of work to the national scale by simply beginning to use the word "national." Perhaps the only reason we did not think "North American" was our own short sightedness. With your helpful perspective our view and minds have now been expanded. There's no reason I can think of that the scope should not include Canada. So, what words to use? North American? International? Continental? Galactic?

I think the only place we have formally used the word "national" is in naming the Summit, The National Window Preservation Summit. Would anyone like to comment on changing the name of the Summit, to The North American Window Preservation Summit? (We could do that you know, after all, we were the ones who came up with "national," and it's our Collaborative, we can do whatever we want.)

On the technical side (what is actually done to the windows) I think there is no reason why the Standards we come up with could not be used in Canada.

J. Scott, I formally invite you to be our Adviser on international affairs, with a focus on Canadian issues. To learn more about becoming an Adviser, check out this discussion here at the Forum:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12

If you should accept the invitation, then I suppose we'd have to start listening to your advice.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

JSTRIPP

Postby JSTRIPP » June 29th, 2011, 11:22 pm

john
thanks for the invite, i will accept and fill out more info later.
but this is a long weekend here in canada and i am heading out.
Last edited by JSTRIPP on July 15th, 2011, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J. SCOTT TRIPP

JSTRIPP

Postby JSTRIPP » July 15th, 2011, 3:25 pm

THANKS
I have now registered and will see you at Pine Mountain
J. SCOTT TRIPP

Return to “National Window Preservation Summit”