Mission, Goals, Objectives & Principles (final)

Mission Statement, Goals & Objectives, Purpose and Acceptance, How to Use the Standards, History of the Standards
johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks
Permissions: Yes

Mission, Goals, Objectives & Principles (final)

Postby johnleeke » July 5th, 2011, 9:23 am

(updated 12/21/12, minor edits; 3/14/12, revised principle 5)

Mission Statement of the WPSC:
Create and distribute window preservation standards that include well researched energy data as well as a catalog of proven methods used to maintain, repair and weatherize older and historic windows.

Goals & Objectives of the WPSC:
Create, print and distribute definitive energy testing data as well as standards for sustainable window repair, restoration and weatherization.
· Work with a broad cross section of professional advisers to create the best Standards document possible.
· Prove, once and for all, that older and historic windows are a better choice for energy efficiency, payback and sustainability than replacement windows in old and historic properties.
· Establish and operate a website to document the process and allow for comments throughout the standards development phase.
· Sponsor at least one National Window Preservation Standards Summit.

Develop formal standards to guide our work.
· Document best practice in window restoration & weatherization.
· Compare and contrast treatments: methods, materials.
· Propose standards and develop consensus at the Summit & website.
· Publish the Standards in printed book format.

Plan the next steps beyond this current project for the first edition.
· Share stories of how the standards are actually being used at the website.
. Track how the standards are used, and analyze their impact on our industry.
· Propose changes for the next edition.
· Publish the next edition in one to two years.

Guiding Principles for Window Preservation Work

(author: Tim Reinders, contributions by John Leeke, John Lindtner, Martin Muller)

1. Window making is a fine craft. Historic and older windows exhibit quality craftsmanship. This craftsmanship is a key component of historic buildings, our heritage and our history. These examples of the fine craft of window making need to be retained. Today, the care, maintenance and repair of fine old windows requires craft knowledge and skill at a level that matches the original craft work used making in them.

2. Existing window assemblies, when properly maintained can function efficiently and effectively for the life of a building. Even when severely deteriorated, historic windows can typically be repaired or restored.

3. Existing windows can be upgraded to improve energy efficiency. Upgrading can be done in a way that limits damage and minimizes the impact on the durability, function and aesthetics of the window.

4. Existing windows can be maintained and repaired with materials that closely match the originals.

5. Preserving and retaining existing windows is more sustainable and environmental sound than window replacement. It reduces waste sent to landfills, reduces the use of less environmentally friendly materials, and reduces the use of energy by eliminating the need for new high-energy materials like aluminum and glass.

6. The field of window preservation encourages safe work practices. Safe work practices protect the safety, health and well being of workers, occupants, the general public and the greater environment.

bobyapp

Re: Mission, Goals & Objectives (draft)

Postby bobyapp » July 13th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Mission Statement:

Create window preservation standards that include well researched energy data as well as a menu of proven methods used to repair, weatherize and restore historic windows.

Goals & Objectives:
- Create, print and distribute definitive energy testing data as well as standards for sustainable window repair, restoration and weatherization.
- Work with a broad cross section of professional Advisers to create the best Standards document possible.
- Prove, once and for all, that historic windows are a better choice for energy efficiency, payback and sustainability than replacement windows in old and historic properties.
- Establish and operate a website to document the process and allow for comments throughout the development and writing process.
- Sponsor at least one National Window Preservation Standards Summit

Develop formal standards to guide our work.
- Document best practice in window preservation & weatherization
- Compare and contrast treatments: methods, materials
- Propose standards and develop consensus at the Summit and via the website
- Publish standards: printed book

Plan Next Steps, beyond this current project for the first edition.
- Tell stories of how the standards are used
- Propose changes for next edition
- Next edition in one to two years

johnleeke

Re: Mission, Goals & Objectives

Postby johnleeke » July 13th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Bob, your rewrite is much better than my original goals & objectives, so I'll just plug it in above as the current draft. We'll see if anyone else has a comment.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

Tim Reinders
Full Name: Tim Reinders
Organization: Main Street Ia/IDED

Guiding Principles

Postby Tim Reinders » August 3rd, 2011, 9:35 pm

I thought a lot about this on the trip home last week. I think there need to be some basic overriding concepts/ideas to frame the entire mission of the group. These are what I came up with.

I'm not totally comfortable with all of these, but I think they express many of the basic ideas/concepts that can guide the industry/group.

PLEASE feel free to edit/comment on these. Also if you think this is a bad idea, feel free to say so!

Guiding Principals

1) Window making is a fine craft. Historic windows exhibit quality craftsmanship. This craftsmanship is a key component of historic building fabric, our heritage and our history. These examples of the fine craft of window making should be retained.

2) Existing window assemblies, when properly maintained can function efficiently and effectively for the life of a building. Even when severely deteriorated, historic windows can typically be restored.

3) Existing windows can be weatherized to improve energy efficiency and air infiltration. Weatherization should be done in such a way as to minimize the impact on the function and aesthetics of the window assembly.

4) Existing windows should be repaired with materials that closely match the originals as much as possible. (Direct from the Secretary of the Interior's Standards)

5) Repairing and retaining existing (historic?) windows is environmentally friendly. It eliminates adding materials to landfills and prevents other less environmentally friendly materials (pvc/vinyl) from being used.

6) The window repair industry encourages environmentally safe work practices. Safe work practices protect the health and safety of their members as well as their clients

sschoberg

Re: Guiding Principles

Postby sschoberg » August 4th, 2011, 8:08 am

Tim

I agree with you. I also like how you've worded it.

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » August 4th, 2011, 10:53 am

Tim:

Your Guiding Principles are excellent.

I have shifted them over here to the topic of "Mission, Goals & Objectives". (see above)

Let's see if anyone comments on them. I'm inclined to include them in the next draft of the Standards, in this "Mission, Goals & Objectives" section.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

oculus

Postby oculus » August 4th, 2011, 2:29 pm

I agree with Steve and John. Excellent wording. Nicely done Tim!
Amy Harrington McAuley
Oculus Fine Carpentry, Inc.
http://oculuswindow.blogspot.com/
oculuswindow@gmail.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"-T.Edison

ATBagala
Full Name: Ann Bagala
Organization: Bagala Window Works

Postby ATBagala » August 9th, 2011, 12:18 pm

I agree. Well worded and comprehensive, Tim. Looking back on our conversations, Jim Turner had some important things to say about window restoration supporting and building local economies. Perhaps that could be added as a principle.

jlindtner
Full Name: John Lindtner
Organization: BPS, LLC

Postby jlindtner » August 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

It's good but I have the following thoughts:

For principal #1, I think we need to be careful if we state “window making is a fine craft.” Perhaps changing it to say it WAS a fine craft or wood window making. Reproducing wooden windows still qualifies here as a craft but the mass-produced replacements are far from that.

For Tim’s #5, can we use the word green? (I don’t know much about LEED, but I know it’s a hot topic and feel that the small footprint we leave in restoring windows pales in comparison to the crater left when vinyl disposables are manufactured. Perhaps a change in LEED standards to not only measure how efficient a building is but also the amount of energy (carbon footprint) that went into the new products vs. the embodied energy in a building that already exists. We should probably save this for the next edition.)

johnleeke

Re: Mission, Goals, Objectives & Principles

Postby johnleeke » December 16th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Tim, your principles are very good. See draft revisions on Mission, Goals, Objectives & Principles:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

Return to “Introduction”