Purpose and Acceptance (final)

Mission Statement, Goals & Objectives, Purpose and Acceptance, How to Use the Standards, History of the Standards
johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks
Permissions: Yes

Purpose and Acceptance (final)

Postby johnleeke » November 18th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Purpose and Acceptance
(author: John Leeke, contributions by John Lindtner, Bob Yapp)

These standards cover window preservation, which provides the alternative to replacement windows.

Window preservation is maintaining, repairing and upgrading older and historic windows. This is a creative process that depends on knowledgeable and skilled workers. A typical window preservation project saves all of the existing windows. The emphasis is on earning a living by doing best work, providing for the needs of the occupants and the building owner, while sustaining local economies.

Replacement windows are factory made products that are aggressively marketed to the American consumer and contractors in the remodeling and renovation market. Replacement windows include "drop in" replacement units that fit into the sash space of existing window frames, and new construction windows when the entire existing frame is removed. Two key strategies used by the replacement industry are to produce the products at the absolute minimum cost and to install them with the minimum labor cost possible. A typical window replacement project includes removing all of the existing sashes or entire windows in a building, throwing them away and installing newly manufactured products. The emphasis is on selling as many replacement windows as possible and the manufacturing and marketing corporations' legal responsibility to focus on profits and money.

Voluntary. These Standards are entirely voluntary. Anyone can do window work any way they want. The Standards only become mandatory when a tradesperson, contractor or building owner agree with each other that the Standards will be followed.

Inclusive. These Standards are inclusive and not exclusive. The Standards include a wide variety of approaches, methods and materials. Nearly anything that saves or preserves older and historic windows can be included in these Standards. They even include an exception classification to allow for work that is done above and beyond the Standards, and to ensure that the Standards do not limit effective innovations in the continuing development of traditional window design.

(This is a draft. Click on "Post Reply" above to comment.)

jlindtner
Full Name: John Lindtner
Organization: BPS, LLC

Re: Purpose and Acceptance (draft)

Postby jlindtner » January 9th, 2012, 11:37 pm

I totally agree with these statements, although an architect reading this for the first time not knowing much about window preservation would probably think there are too many opinions mixed into these opening statements and therefore question the entire document. Perhaps the "make as much money as possible" should be toned down and some actual $ figures be included. (ie. In 2010 $xx billion were spent on replacement windows while X number of windows were sent to the landfills.") We're all in the window business to make money. It's what we provide for the customer's money that we should emphasize.

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » January 10th, 2012, 2:37 pm

John, these are good points.

What I'm trying to do here is come up with clear definitions of "window replacement" and "window restoration", so an architect, or any other reader will know what we mean and be able to discern the difference.

Do you think the paragraph about window preservation needs any revisions?

I'll ask the architects who were at the Summit to post their comments before I do a revision.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » January 14th, 2012, 4:49 pm

OK, I have changed that last sentence of the "replacement window" definition from:

The emphasis is on making as much money as possible for the manufacturing and marketing corporations.

to:

The emphasis is on the manufacturing and marketing corporations' legal responsibility to focus on money.

This seems to be more a statement of fact than opinion. Let me know what you think.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » January 14th, 2012, 6:27 pm

OK, to further reduce the "opinions" in this piece I'm deleting the word "disposable" from the definition of "replacement window." If you want me to put it back in, we need some hard facts (with sources) that support the notion that these windows are disposable. Two or three documented cases of replacement windows getting replaced within 2 to 12 years would be sufficient. We know that there are many, many cases like this out there, but we need documentation. Documentation might include signed and dated contracts from when the first round of replacement windows were installed, or signed statements from the building owner or window installer, photos, etc.; photos and/or videos of their deterioration, with signed statements, etc.

I think it is great to use the phrase "disposable windows" in other places like conversations, interviews, articles, books, etc.

You can submit your documentation right here at the forum.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

Bob Yapp

Postby Bob Yapp » August 22nd, 2012, 11:32 am

I would change the first paragraph to read:

Window preservation is maintaining, repairing and upgrading older and historic windows. This is a process that depends on knowledgeable and skilled workers. A typical window preservation project saves all salvagable existing windows. The emphasis is on doing the best, sustainable work while providing for the needs of the occupants and the building owner.

Bob Yapp

Postby Bob Yapp » August 22nd, 2012, 11:36 am

I would change the rest of the paragraphs as follows:

Replacement windows are factory made products that are marketed to the American consumers, architects and contractors in the remodeling and renovation market. Replacement windows include "drop in" replacement units that fit into the sash space of existing window frames, and new construction windows when the entire existing frame is removed. A typical window replacement project includes removing all of the existing sashes or entire windows in a building, disposing of them and installing newly manufactured products.

Voluntary. These Standards are entirely voluntary. Anyone can do window work any way they want. The Standards only become mandatory when an architect, tradesperson, contractor or building owner agree with each other that the Standards will be followed.

Inclusive. These Standards are inclusive and not exclusive. The Standards include a wide variety of approaches, methods and materials. Nearly anything that saves or preserves older and historic windows can be included in these Standards. They even include an exception classification to allow for work that is done above and beyond the Standards, and to ensure that the Standards do not limit effective innovations in the continuing development of traditional window design.

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » August 22nd, 2012, 2:10 pm

Bob, I like these edits, and will post them as the current draft.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

Return to “Introduction”