Temporary Boardup (Final)

Wood repairs for sashes, frames and sills.
Bob Yapp

Temporary Boardup (Final)

Postby Bob Yapp » March 3rd, 2012, 4:17 pm

Author: David Gibney
References:
Contributors:

Title of Treatment: Temporary Boardup
Class of Treatment: [ ] Maintain, [ ] Stabilize, [ ] Repair, [x] Upgrade, [ ] Exception
Type of Treatment: [ ] Traditional, [x] Contemporary, [ ] Conservation

Condition to be Treated:
Sashes have been removed and opening needs to be temporarily covered for weather and security purposes.

Description:
Create a temporary covering that is removable at later date. The covering can be installed from the exterior to fit onto the face of the casing boards or into the storm stop; or from the interior, fitting against the exterior sash stop. This method results in screw holes in the jambs or casings that must be repaired.
(Alternatives to this method are using storm windows as temporary coverings if they seal the weather out and provide for security, and using temporary sashes from another window.)

Typical Procedure:

1. Cut 1/2" thick oriented strand board (OSB) to sized to fit snugly.

3. Pre-paint the exterior side of the board to match a major exterior paint color so the panel visually blends into the appearance of the property and doesn't attract unwanted attention.

4. If natural light is desired, decide the size of the light opening needed. The cut out square or rectangle should not exceed 75% of the size of the pre-cut board. Cut out the opening.

5. Cut and attach a piece of plexiglass 1" wider and taller than the cutout to the surface of the ½” board with permanent sealant, wood strips, caulking and screws.

6. Install the board with screws to secure the temporary panel to the opening.

7. Seal the interior edges of the board with temporary sealant to makes the opening air tight.

8. Repair screw holes in jambs or casings after the board has been removed for the last time.

Materials:
• Board, plywood or oriented strand board (OSB), 1/2” thick
• Exterior paint
• 1” long exterior screws
• 1/8” thick plexiglass
• Wood strips for plexiglass
• Permanent sealant
• Removable sealant

Quality of Results

Best Work:
Opening is air and water tight. Board matches major exterior color. Board can be removed with no damage to original window elements.

Adequate Work:
Board is not painted to match major exterior color.

Inadequate Work:
Board is nailed instead of screwed in place. Board is installed with large gaps, air and water can migrate through the gaps.

jay treiger
Full Name: jay treiger
Permissions: Yes

Re: Temporary Window Cover-(Draft) David Gibney

Postby jay treiger » March 19th, 2012, 11:28 pm

I too use strand board or plywood to 'board -up' a window both to keep the weather out and limit easy access to an active residence or business. However, it is less damaging to the woodwork if no screws whatsoever are used to secure the panels. For most buildings a rope loop can be set through two holes drilled into the panel spaced out along the horizontal centerline. Then holding the loop inside the room slip a two by two or greater through the loop and twist it down to snug the panel tightly into the exterior opening. Often it can set at the screen stop or exterior trim line and 'stand' on the sill. Most sizes can be easily placed from the inside of the structure by one person.
For windows larger than four feet wide by eight feet wide or where security is a more serious consideration two carriage bolts with link nuts and threaded rods bolt through the opening to a four by four bridging the inside makes for a snug safe panel.
Often these panels may need to be put up and taken down half a dozen times during a window restoration project and often by other contractors not under direct supervision (masons, painters etc.) These panel covers are easy to use and most importantly do not leave a trail of screw holes in woodwork we are trying to restore.
Best Regards,
Jay Treiger
Ashland, Oregon

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks

Postby johnleeke » March 20th, 2012, 9:21 am

Jay, welcome to the Standards project.

Thanks for your comments. I use a few of your ideas myself with covers.

I especially like your methods of eliminating screw holes, since one of the principles of window preservation is "do no harm." I often screw screen door handles to the panels.

Do you have any photos showing the rope loops or bolts, or maybe sketches?

I'd like to incorporate the loop and interior bar into this standard. Any comments?
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

jay treiger
Full Name: jay treiger

Postby jay treiger » March 20th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Greetings John et al
I currently have forty two covers in service with a variety of sizes and selvage. We will be back on site after the first of April and I will endeavor to photograph some representative samples. In what format shall I try to get these images sent to you? (emphasis on try)
'til then, Jay

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » March 20th, 2012, 10:44 pm

Jay, digital photos are easiest on this end, the largest size or max resolution your camera can make. You can attached them to messages right here at the Forum.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

johnleeke

Re: Temporary Window Cover (Draft)

Postby johnleeke » May 7th, 2012, 1:05 pm

Jay, that's a good point about screw holes. I'll add the issue of screw holds to this standard.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

Return to “Woodwork”