Wood Storm, weatherstrip (final)

Controlling the movement of air and heat through windows.
oculus

Re: Wood Storm Window, with weatherstrip (draft)

Postby oculus » February 14th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Here is the revised jpeg image.
Attachments
SKMBT_C45212021412130_small.jpg
Amy Harrington McAuley
Oculus Fine Carpentry, Inc.
http://oculuswindow.blogspot.com/
oculuswindow@gmail.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"-T.Edison

Bob Yapp

Postby Bob Yapp » February 16th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Perfect

peter_carroll
Full Name: Peter Carroll
Organization: Old Home Rehab, Inc.
Permissions: Yes

Postby peter_carroll » March 8th, 2012, 1:20 pm

What type of incremental gain does the weatherstripping provide beyond good solid (no visual light around the) edges) wood to wood contact? There is a cost in labor & materials so I think we should be sure there is enough additional savings (or documented reductions in air infiltration) between storms with good wood/wood contact versus storms with additions or weather seals on jambs & headers. Maybe wrong but we don't even weatherstrip the bottom rail. We like to see a "shadow of light" between the bottom rail & sill to allow for drainage, ventilation, and ease of operation in the spring. (nothing pulling paint off) I haven't yet found documentation of this added benefit though theoretically it make sense.

should the weatherstrips be reserved in the cases of poorly fitting storms or for storms made from dimensional lumber

sschoberg

Postby sschoberg » March 9th, 2012, 7:43 am

I see potential problems with the standards condoning the sealing of a wood storm window to the opening. The same with adding insulating panels on the interior side of the prime windows. I've seen on several occasions the build up of mold between storm windows and prime windows as well as interior insulatiung panels.

Setting a standard on how to make a storm window a sealed unit may even present a liability to the standards. May help to at least add a standard to allow for air flow between, but if there's not a known formula to get this then there may be problems. I think it wise to discuss this a bit more.

You can seal a historical window with a storm window to allow no air movement through, however will there be a hidden cost resulting from excessive moisture and possible mold growth.

Hopefully this sounds a bit better than before my editing.

sschoberg

Postby sschoberg » March 18th, 2012, 3:37 pm

So I was thinking this morning and arguing a bit with Bob about the potential adverse affects of weather stripping wood storm windows.

I may be able to agree with this standard for weather stripping storms if we can add to it ( in the same context ) a statement that requires the addition of closable vent holes into both new and existing wood storm windows that are to be weather stripped. The cover could be made to be air tight and their would need to be instructions (written) for the homeowner explaining how to use and when or what to look for regarding excess moisture between the prime and storm windows.

Would not need to be used all the time or on all windows. However as part of the standard for weather stripping storms vent holes with an air tight cover would required.

I think I could agree with this. As a manufacturer of wood storm windows (all be it a small one) I could see this being incorporated into production rather easily and it will allow an amount of air movement between the storm and prime windows when needed. And with instructions on how to use the homeowner can easily use to help dry out if excessive moisture is building up.

johnleeke
Full Name: John Leeke
Organization: Historic HomeWorks

Postby johnleeke » March 18th, 2012, 4:04 pm

OK, it's clear we need a standard for

Storm Window, without weatherstrip

I just added that to the outline for the Standards, you can see that here:
viewtopic.php?p=518#p518

Steve, if you would like to write it up, let me know and I'll help you get started on it. You could put in all the qualifications on where and when it should be used, as you list in your message above.

Vent holes and slots with covers (and small individual lights that open on hinges or sliding frames) are very common in northern regions where extreme cold is common, like here in Maine and in Alaska and Canada, because ventilation of the space between the storm and the primary sash needs to be fine tuned for the micro-climate around each window. We need a standard on this type of storm too.

Please keep in mind that whether or not storms should be weatherstripped, and many, many other details of good window work are highly dependent on the climate of the location. The Standards will be used in an extremely wide range of climates from tropic to arctic, from rain forest to dry desert and everything in between. So, there might be a storm window standard for each type of climate.

What is the official description of the climate there in Indiana?
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

http://www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » March 18th, 2012, 4:19 pm

We also need a standard on giving building occupants advice on how to operate their windows. Perhaps that should go in with maintenance. I've just added that to the outline, check it out down at the bottom:

viewtopic.php?p=518#p518
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

sschoberg

Postby sschoberg » March 18th, 2012, 4:54 pm

I would think that for the standard of storms with weather stripping, the added comment as part of the standard. Should include the addition of adequate ventilation holes, either through the bottom rail ,with an air tight cover. Or with some other means such as you metioned.
I cannot use the standard of Atwood storm window with weather stripping unless it also contains. In the same context, an incorporated way to add periodically needed ventilation, such as has been written here.

As far as a completely different standard for wood storms without weather stripping seems redundant.

The same standard can be used for both with the addition of the added vent holes to be used when storm is weather stripped.

johnleeke

Postby johnleeke » March 18th, 2012, 5:49 pm

If you hang the storm from above on hooks & loops, with a stay-type fastener at the bottom then the occupant can open and close the storm to meet any ventilation need, with or without weatherstripping.
John
Standards Co-Founder
Standards Editor

sschoberg

Postby sschoberg » March 18th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Probably, maybe. But less convenient and maybe lots more intimidating for an elderly person to do. Much easier to slide or lift an access door to get air moving when needed.

Return to “Weatherization & Energy”